Design an automated call/messaging test app for Android to schedule hands-off auto calls when phone location changes.


Test engineers need to run call/messaging tests when driving, but the law prohibits using phones when driving. A user friendly design is needed for an app to enable automatic calls/messages when phone location changes with certain velocity.

My role:

Design the app that will meet the specific requirements and provide the best UX to save onboard time for new engineers.


  • Discussed with developers and created Android phone app design that developers can deliver in limited timeline.
  • Designed app UI and interaction using Sketch. Engineers told me it easy to use and no onboarding needed.


An app to promote work efficiency

Automation test team needed an app to test out call/messaging ability of phones when phone location moves. In order to carry out the study, they would need two engineers: one drives while the other one is testing on the phone. In order to have only one engineer for each test, Automation test team wanted to develop an app to start auto calls/messagings when phone location changes with certain velocity.

Moreover, the testing tools at that time required a lot of training to new engineers. The Automation test team wanted an app that is easy to use, ideally, no training would be needed for new engineers.

During a meeting, Automation test team shown me their current testing app. After our discussion, I drafted an information architecture chart for our next meeting to enhance efficient discussion.

In the chart, I determined user goals and the most important functions for users to reach their goals. The project lead found it inspiring, and was very useful to enhance discussion and organize information.

Information architecture chart enhanced our discussion.

I enjoy draw this kind of chart to support discussions with stakeholders/clients. Visualizing information always helps people to understand user goals and generate new ideas even to solve problems.

Quick design and iterations

In our discussion, we revised this chart till we both think the app will serve our goals–for me, the flow makes sense and will be easy to use. For developers and stakeholders, it can be developed in the limited time frame using limited resources even in the backend. Once we determined this chart serves the user goal, I started to draft the interaction and flow.

The home page of the app I designed.
The landing home page after user opens it.
The scrolled up home page of the app.
The user can scrolls up to see Mute all calls feature.

The first key thing is to the user set up call/messaging details according to their specific project requirements. After a serious consideration, I decided to dedicate the home page to present the settings that users can change right away after entering the app.

The three major navigation bottom below are for the user to start testing right away. After a series discussion with test engineers, I ensure the default settings are most commonly used setup by our users. That is, in most situation, the user won’t need to change anything and can tap the navigation button to start the auto test flow.

After I drafted designs, I had discussion with the Automation test team. Providing the draft created efficient discussion to determine what to change or not. Later on we had a quick user testing to gather feedbacks to iterate the design. We had meetings to discuss user feedback and added/eliminated features accordingly.

Unfortunately, I am not able to show more than the app home page since it is a T-Mobile internal application. If you are interested to know more about this app, please contact me for Zeplin link and more information.

Thank you for reading! Have a great one!

I created T-SAIL logo using Adobe Illustrator

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s